Attorney Paul Key
Over 20 Years of Experience

Warrant for your arrest in Collin County, Texas

September 13, 2011

By Paul Key on September 13, 2011 4:26 PM

Finding out that there's a warrant out for your arrest is unpleasant news to say the least. Sometimes, you find this news out the hard way, meaning you find out by the officer who is arresting you on the warrant. There is not much you can do about it at that point. The officer has been ordered by a court to take you into custody, and very few officers, especially in Collin County, Texas, are going to ignore that order.

Arrest warrants issue for a variety of reasons in Collin County, such as when someone fails to appear in court or fails to pay a fine for a traffic ticket. Likewise, a warrant may issue because of a new criminal charge. For example, if the police are investigating someone for, say, an assault charge, and that person was not arrested initially at the scene when the officer first responded to the call, then the officer may get an arrest warrant. What frequently also happens is that the officer will not get a warrant initially and will forward the report to the Collin County District Attorney's Office, and the DA will file charges. Upon receiving the formal charges, the court will issue a warrant for the person's arrest.

Warrants for failure to pay fines are easily dealt with: Go pay the fine and the warrant will be lifted! For almost any other kind of warrant, an experienced criminal defense attorney can help you make the best of a bad situation.

If you're fortunate enough to find out about the warrant before you're actually being arrested, then there a lot of things you can do to make the best of the bad news. Under certain circumstances, you may be able to have the arrest warrant lifted. For instance, if someone is out on bail and fails to appear in court, an arrest warrant would likely issue for the failure to appear in court. Under many circumstances it is possible to persuade the court to recall the warrant and set aside the bond forfeiture, which is a great outcome, because you don't have to go back to jail and you don't have to bear the expense of posting a new bond.

Other times the court may not be willing to recall the warrant and set aside the bond forfeiture. There are still many things you can do to make the situation "less bad." If no new bail is set, then you will want to request that bail be set, hopefully before you're taken into custody. If no bail is set, then you will have to wait in jail until bail is set before you can bond out. Having everything arranged before you're taken into custody can mean the difference between being at the jail for an hour and being at the jail for days.

If you find out that you have a warrant out for your arrest in Collin County, contact the Law Office of Paul D. Key, P.C.